Basic Information About Anderson Silva
|Category||Athletes › MMA|
|Professions||Mixed Martial Artist, Actor|
|Date of birth||1975-04-14 (48 years old)|
|Place of birth||São Paulo|
|Curiosities and Trademarks||Elbow strikes on the face|
Body triangle triangle from the guard position
Muay Thai clinch and knee-strikes
Remarkable striking accuracy, particularly in punches
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Social Media||↗︎ Wikipedia ↗︎ IMDb|
What Movie Awards did Anderson Silva win?
Anderson Silva roles
|Movie / Series||Role|
|NCIS: Los Angeles||Sensei Scott 1 episode, 2014|
Net Worth Details
Anderson Silva, also known as “The Spider,” is a Brazilian Mixed Martial Artist who has achieved great success in his career. As of now, Silva has a net worth of $8 million. He has earned this wealth through his skills and accomplishments in the octagon, along with various endorsement deals and sponsorships.
What is Anderson Silva known for?
Anderson da Silva, born on April 14th, 1975, in Sao Paulo, Brazil, is widely recognized as one of the greatest MMA fighters of all time. Throughout his career, he has held the UFC Middleweight Title for a record-breaking length of time, making him a legendary figure in the sport.
Early life and education
Anderson Silva did not come from an affluent background. He was raised by his aunt and uncle and had to overcome various challenges to pursue his passion for martial arts. Growing up, Silva learned jiu-jitsu by practicing with other children in his neighborhood. He also trained in forms such as capoeira, muay thai, and taekwondo, developing a diverse skillset that would later prove instrumental to his success.
Prior to embarking on his professional fighting career, Silva worked odd jobs to make ends meet, including working at McDonald’s and as a file clerk.
Anderson Silva’s career began in Brazil with a series of wins in the welterweight category. He captured attention by becoming the first fighter to defeat Hayato Sakurai, which eventually led to his participation in the prestigious Pride Fighting Championships in Japan. During his time with Pride, Silva showcased his skills by defeating notable fighters like Carlos Newton and Alex Stiebling.
After a setback with a loss to Daiju Takase, Silva considered leaving MMA altogether. However, he bounced back with decisive victories over Jeremy Horn and Lee Murray in promotions like Cage Rage.
In 2006, Anderson Silva signed with the UFC, marking a significant milestone in his career. He made an explosive debut with a stunning knockout victory against Chris Leben in just 49 seconds. Silva soon went on to claim the middleweight title by defeating Rich Franklin.
Throughout his UFC tenure, Silva faced and triumphed over formidable opponents, including Nate Marquardt, Dan Henderson, and James Irvin. However, his fighting style occasionally drew criticism, as he displayed exceptional defense and elusiveness, which some saw as intentionally avoiding contact with opponents.
Despite occasional controversies and setbacks, Silva’s career highlights include incredible performances, such as his “Knockout of the Night” win against Forrest Griffin. He also engaged in memorable bouts against fighters like Chael Sonnen, Vitor Belfort, and Yushin Okami.
However, in 2013, Silva experienced a devastating loss against Chris Weidman. During their rematch, Silva suffered a significant leg injury after Weidman checked his leg kick, abruptly ending the fight. Despite the setback, Silva demonstrated resilience and made a successful return to the octagon after recovery.
Over the years, Anderson Silva’s fights have generated almost 10 million PPV sales, further solidifying his status as one of the most captivating athletes in the sport.
In addition to his remarkable track record in the UFC, Anderson Silva has earned numerous awards and accolades throughout his career. He has received recognition for his exceptional striking abilities, often hailed as one of the best strikers in UFC history.
Throughout his fights, Silva showcased his elusive style, evading punches and strikes while delivering powerful and accurate blows. His striking accuracy, combined with his seamless transitioning between stances, solidifies Silva’s place among the greatest fighters of all time.
Sponsorships and Endorsements
Anderson Silva has secured endorsement and sponsorship deals with several prominent brands. He has represented the sports marketing company 9INE, the Corinthians soccer team in Brazil, and even Burger King.
Although previously sponsored by Nike before they ended their association with the UFC, Silva continues to attract the attention of various companies who recognize his influence and marketability.
Outside of martial arts, Anderson Silva is a family man and has five children with his wife. In 2019, he became a U.S. citizen, adding to the diverse experiences that shape his identity.
Despite being widely regarded as one of the best “pound-for-pound” fighters in UFC history, Silva humbly credits his personal friend B.J. Penn for that accolade. This highlights the respect and camaraderie existing within the MMA community.
Beyond fighting, Silva also expresses his passion for comic books, further illuminating his multifaceted personality.
Anderson Silva’s journey from humble beginnings to phenomenal success serves as an inspiration to aspiring fighters worldwide. His exceptional talent, combined with his charismatic presence, will forever leave a mark on the world of mixed martial arts.
Interesting Facts about Anderson Silva
- During his Vale Tudo and MMA career, Anderson holds wins over household names such as Jeremy Horn, Carlos Newton, Lee Murray, Hayato Sakurai, Jorge Rivera, Chris Leben, Rich Franklin, James Irvin, Travis Lutter, Nate Quarry and Dan Henderson.
- Got Knocked-Out by his trainer José "Pelé Landi-Jons in a Muay Thai fight.
- Was personally trained in Muay Thai and in Vale Tudo by MMA legend José "Pelé" Landi-Jons. Both men left Chute Boxe Academy to form the Muay Thai Dream Team Academy in Curitiba, Brazil.
- Was an ex-member of the infamous Vale Tudo Academy Chute Boxe in Curitiba, Brazil.
- A member of Black House MMA. Other members are Justin Lawrence, Thales Leites, Eduardo Pamplona, Andre Galvao,Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, Fabricio Camoes,José Aldo, Lyoto Machida,Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Rafael Cavalcante, Pedro Rizzo and Rafael dos Anjos.
- He learned some moves with the actor and master of Aikido, Steven Seagal.
- He has 5 children with Dayane - Kaory, Gabriel, Kalyl, Kauana and Joao Vitor.
- He has written a book about himself called "Anderson Spider Silva - O Relato de um Campeao nos Ringues e na Vida (The Relates from a Champion in the Rings & Life)" (2012).
- After his lightning KO win over Chris Leben, Anderson is preparing his next UFC fight by training alongside MMA legend Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. [July 2006]
- Successfully defended his UFC Middleweight title for the 5th time against Thales Leites, extending his current win streak in the UFC to 9 fights, and breaking Royce Gracie and Jon Fitch's record of 8 straight wins in the UFC Octagon. [April 2009]
- Successfully defended his UFC Middleweight title for the 4th time against 'Patrick Cote', tying Royce Gracie and Jon Fitch's record of 8 straight wins in the UFC Octagon. [October 2008]