Basic Information About Ben Mckenzie
|Category||Celebrities › Actors|
|Professions||Actor, Film Producer|
|Date of birth||1978-09-12 (45 years old)|
|Place of birth||Austin|
|Nationality||United States of America|
|Spouse||Morena Baccarin - (2 June 2017 - present) (2 children)|
|Height||5 ft 8 in (1.74 m)|
|Social Media||↗︎ Wikipedia ↗︎ IMDb|
What Movie Awards did Ben Mckenzie win?
Ben Mckenzie awards
|Award Name||State||Movie / Series Name||Year|
|Blimp Award - Favorite Family TV Actor||Nominee||Gotham||2016|
Ben Mckenzie roles
|Movie / Series||Role|
|88 Minutes||Mike Stempt (as Benjamin McKenzie)|
|Line of Duty||Dean Keller|
|The Report||Scrubbed CIA Officer|
|Some Kind of Beautiful||Brian|
|JAG||Petty Officer Spencer 1 episode, 2003|
|Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated||Odnarb 1 episode, 2011|
|Ellen: The Ellen DeGeneres Show||Self / ... 8 episodes, 2003-2014|
|The Late Show with Stephen Colbert||Self 1 episode, 2018|
|The Late Late Show with James Corden||Self 2 episodes, 2015-2017|
|Watch What Happens: Live||Self 1 episode, 2016|
|The Tonight Show with Jay Leno||Self 1 episode, 2004|
|Southland||Officer Ben Sherman 43 episodes, 2009-2013|
|Conan||Self - Guest 1 episode, 2013|
|Punk'd||Self 2 episodes, 2004-2005|
|Late Night with Conan O'Brien||Self / ... 2 episodes, 2004-2005|
Ben Mckenzie's Movie/Shows Salary
|Movie / Series||Salary|
|The O.C. (2003)||Between $15,000 and $25,000 per-episode.|
Ben Mckenzie's Quotes
- "I've always been kind of a loner. Continue to be. So, in that sense, Ryan and I are the same. I played football in Texas, but I didn't really hang out with the jocks. I did honors courses, but I didn't hang out with those kids, either. I sort of had my own group I hung with occasionally, but I've always been kind of by myself." - When asked about his high school experience.
- It's a Fox thing, the bad-boy image. They're trying to type me out. There are worse things in life, you know. I'm just really excited about the opportunity.
- "It's against type in the sense of my background, but it's with type in the sense that I am a loner who's new to this business and skeptical about a lot of it." When discussing differences between Ryan Atwood and himself.
- "I'm somewhat puzzled about that myself. I did theater in college, so I had already started down that path, but I didn't want to major in theater at U. Va. I didn't really know what I wanted to do, so I thought I'd get a good education and do some acting at the same time" Explaining why he majored in Economics and Foreign Affairs and not theater.
- Sometimes those fears (about fame) creep into the back of your head, but then you slap yourself and think, 'Oh, woe is me! People actually like me.' What a silly thing to worry about. This is a huge opportunity, and I'm excited.
Net Worth Details
Ben McKenzie is a talented actor, writer, and director who have made a significant impact on the acting world. As of 2021, Ben McKenzie’s net worth is approximately $13 million.
What is Ben McKenzie Known for?
McKenzie came into the limelight when he played the role of Ryan Atwood in the Fox Series ‘The O.C’, which premiered in 2003 and ran till 2007. He has won the hearts of many with his excellent performances in several films, including ‘Junebug,’ ’88 Minutes,’ and ‘Line of Duty’. McKenzie’s portrayal of detective James Gordon in Fox’s hit series ‘Gotham’ earned him more recognition and awards. Not only an accomplished actor, he is also multitalented and has written and directed several ‘Gotham’ episodes.
Early Life and Education
Ben McKenzie was born as Benjamin McKenzie Schenkkan in Austin Texas, on September 12, 1978, to Frances victory Schenkkan, an award-winning poet, and Pieter Meade Schenkkan, an attorney. He has two younger brothers; Nate and Zach. McKenzie attended St. Andrew’s Episcopal School in Austin, where he played flag football alongside NFL Super Bowl XLIV MVP Drew Brees. He graduated from Stephen F. Austin High School in 1997 and later proceeded to University of Virginia, where he earned a degree in foreign relations and economics!
After completed college studies, Ben pursued his passion for acting by moving to New York City where he worked on various theater productions before moving to Los Angeles to turn his focus fully to film. Ben made many guest appearances on several TV shows, including ‘The District’ and ‘JAG,’ before landing a significant role on Fox’s hit TV series ‘The O.C’. Ultimately, McKenzie would go on to play critical roles in several TV shows and movies, including ‘Southland,’ ‘Gotham,’ ‘Junebug,’ ’88 Minutes,’ ‘Line of Duty,’ among others.
Ben McKenzie has gained great acclaim for impressive acting performances, creative writing, and impeccable directing skills observed in some episodes on ‘Gotham. In recognition of his acting expertise, he has had several award successes including: “Choice Breakout TV Star Male “nominated in the “Teen Choice Awards” out of the several recognitions he was so far nominated for!
McKenzie married his partner, fellow actress, and co-star in The O.C., Morena Baccarin in 2017. They had initially been linked up as a couple two years earlier when they both starred on the show ‘Gotham’. They have two children, Frances Laiz Setta Schenkkan and Arthur.
In 2013, McKenzie sold his Los Angeles house for $2.17 million, and he bought a Santa Monica property in 2015 for $2.36 million. In April 2019, he put the Spanish colonial-style house (237 19th St.) for sale at $9.75 million. With a floor area of about 6.3k square feet there are seven bedrooms and seven-and-a-half bathrooms, with massed stone fireplaces setting a vintage ambiance throughout.
What is Ben McKenzie’s Net Worth and Salary?
Ben McKenzie’s net worth is estimated at $13 million. Over the years, he has etched out a successful acting career coupled with his involvement in directing and production, which have contributed to his considerable fortune. McKenzie’s salary has always been high; reportedly earning around $15,000 – $25,000 per episode during the four-year run of ‘The O.C’. He also cashed in on hefty earnings from his performance in ‘Gotham’ with reports indicating around $1 million per episode. In the coming years, Ben will undoubtedly add even more to his net worth as he explores new projects!
There is no doubt that Ben McKenzie is a talented actor who had an unconventional path to fame and has worked incredibly hard to solidify his position in the industry. McKenzie has wowed the public with his impressive acting, production and directing skills, winning critical acclaim and numerous accolades for this work. It’s reflecting his passion for acting, dedication, professionalism that saw him build a highly successful TV career. He is not only respected within the industry but also loved by many fans around the globe for his numerous memorable roles. Finally, with no indication of slowing down, Ben will continue to achieve greater heights in his career!
Interesting Facts about Ben Mckenzie
- Uncle is Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Robert Schenkkan
- Education: Austin High, graduated 1997; University of Virginia, bachelor's degree 2001
- His paternal grandparents both did some acting when they were young. His 22-year-old brother Nate is a Yale graduate working in avant-garde theater in New York. Younger brother Zack, 19, is attending Pomona College, a half-hour away from Los Angeles, and still pondering his future.
- He followed his father and grandfather to the University of Virginia, where he graduated in 2001 with a degree in economics and foreign relations.
- Son of Austin attorney Pieter Schenkkan and poet-writer Mary Frances Victory.
- Has a manager, publicist and lawyer on the payroll (he's shopping for a new agent now that his career is taking off)
- He recently moved into a new apartment in Santa Monica and bought a sleek new Infiniti G35, which he concedes he spends more on than housing.
- Moved to New York City three weeks before 9/11
- While in New York he waited tables to help support himself and shared a bunk bed in a cramped apartment in the city.
- Mother: Frances Schenkkan will begin the master's program in creative writing at the University of Texas in the fall. She's been a newspaper reporter and editor, and in the 1980s she served on the Austin Planning Commission and the board of the Austin Child Guidance Center. She is a recipient of the Adele Steiner Burleson prize in poetry at the university. She and husband Pieter have three sons, Ben, Nate, and Zack.
- He graduated from the same high school in Austin that the Bush twins (Jenna Bush Hager and Barbara Bush) graduated from. He was a senior the year they were freshmen.
- Second cousin of Sarah Drew
- Was a speaker at the Democratic National Convention on July 27, 2004.
- Was voted one of InStyle's "10 Hottest Bachelors Of Summer" in July 2005, placing at number 10.
- One of his grandfathers, Robert F. ("Bob") Schenkkan, was an early proponent of both PBS and NPR. In recognition of his work, Austin, Texas' public radio and television stations KUT-FM and KLRU-TV hosted a 90th birthday celebration for him in March 2007, at which McKenzie and many of Schenkkan's other grandchildren spoke.
- Played football with (quarterback of the New Orleans Saints) Drew Brees at Austin High School and then against Drew Brees when Drew transferred to a rival school. Is now a Saints fan.
- Best friends with Paul Wesley.
- Ben's paternal grandfather, Robert Frederic Schenkkan, was from a Dutch Jewish family, and had both Ashkenazi and Sephardi ancestry. Ben's patrilineal ancestry can be traced back to Ben's great-great-great-great-grandfather, Abraham Juda Schenkkan Levie, who was born, c. 1781, in Amsterdam. Ben's great-great-aunt, Martha van der Zijl, died in Auschwitz in 1943; Martha was the sister of Ben's paternal great-grandmother, Josephine van der Zijl. From Ben's three other grandparents, his ancestry is English, with a smaller amount of Scottish.
- He is the only actor to have played both Bruce Wayne/Batman and his ally Commissioner James ''Jim'' Gordon.
- In September 2015, girlfriend Morena Baccarin announced she was pregnant with Ben's first child and planning to marry him.