Basic Information About Dana Mecum
The Success Story of Dana Mecum and the Rise of Mecum Auctions
Dana Mecum, an American businessman and the founder of Mecum Auctions, has achieved remarkable success in the world of vintage and collector car auctions. With a net worth of $50 million and an illustrious career spanning over three decades, Dana Mecum has solidified his position as a prominent figure in the industry.
Early Life and Education
Dana Mecum was born in Monmouth, Illinois in 1954. His father, Edward Mecum, was a renowned fleet salesman who owned a Pontiac dealership in Marengo, Illinois. Edward Mecum later ventured into reselling Avis rental cars and became the nation’s largest fleet dealer until his business faced temporary setbacks due to high-interest rates in the 198s.
Career and the Birth of Mecum Auctions
The inception of Mecum Auctions came about as a result of Dana’s passion for cars and his entrepreneurial spirit. It all started with Dana sitting at his dining room table, dreaming of creating a successful car auction company.
Mecum Auctions, now considered the largest antique, vintage, and collector car and motorcycle business in the world, conducted its first auction in 1988 at the Rockford Airport. However, luck was not on their side as a freak storm with 90mph winds wreaked havoc on the event.
Despite this setback and years without profits, Dana Mecum persevered. Today, Mecum Auctions hosts over one auction every month, showcasing an impressive inventory of approximately 15 thousand cars annually. The company’s headquarters are situated in Walworth, Wisconsin.
- Mecum Auctions is renowned for hosting the largest collector car auction in the world, which takes place annually in Florida.
- Another significant event on Mecum’s calendar is the extravagant ten-day event in Kissimmee, Florida each January, featuring 3,000 cars on display and boasting a staggering $100 million in sales.
- Mecum Auctions has also expanded into other areas, including collectible farm tractors, motorcycles, and road art.
- In 2017 alone, Mecum handled an impressive 20,000 consignments, generating over $400 million in sales.
Mecum Auctions has also gained significant popularity through its television coverage on the NBC Sports Network, enhancing its reach to car enthusiasts all over the world.
Noteworthy Achievements and Recognition
Dana Mecum’s successful journey with Mecum Auctions has earned him numerous accolades and accomplishments:
- Mecum Auctions offers the highest volume of sales domestically amongst all car auction companies in the United States.
- The company holds the distinction of selling the highest number of collector cars at auctions globally.
- Mecum Auctions has a considerable inventory and has become a household name in the collector car community, attracting buyers and sellers alike.
- The annual auctions conducted by Mecum draw the attention of car enthusiasts from around the world.
Personal Life and Legacy
Dana Mecum and his wife, Patti, share a deep involvement in both their personal lives and their business ventures. They have four sons together and nine grandchildren, making Mecum’s legacy a family affair.
Despite rumors of his demise in March 202, Dana Mecum is very much alive and continues to spearhead Mecum Auctions into future success.
Dana Mecum’s relentless passion for cars, coupled with his business acumen, has propelled him to the summit of the vintage and collector car industry. With Mecum Auctions setting records and gaining international recognition, Dana Mecum has secured his place as one of the most influential entrepreneurs in the automotive world, leaving a lasting impact for generations to come.