Basic Information About Tyler Perry
|Full Name||Tyler Perry|
|Category||Celebrities › Directors|
|Professions||Screenwriter, Playwright, Film Producer, Television producer, Actor, Film director, Theatre Director, Television Director, Author, Songwriter|
|Date of birth||1969-09-13 (54 years old)|
|Place of birth||New Orleans|
|Nationality||United States of America|
|Curiosities and Trademarks||His films/TV series take place in Atlanta, Georgia or Louisiana|
His films/TV series include African-American themes
Often plays multiple characters, including in drag, in his films or on stage
|Mother||Willie Maxine Perry|
|Siblings||Yulanda Williams, Melva Porter, Emmbre Perry|
|Kids||Aman Tyler Perry|
|Height||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Social Media||↗︎ Wikipedia ↗︎ Instagram ↗︎ Twitter ↗︎ Facebook ↗︎ Imdb|
What Movie Awards did Tyler Perry win?
Tyler Perry awards
|Award Name||State||Movie / Series Name||Year|
|AAFCA Award - Best Supporting Actor||Winner||Whiplash||2014|
|AAFCA Award - Best Supporting Actor||Winner||Gone Girl||2014|
|Black Reel - Outstanding Supporting Actor, Motion Picture||Nominee||Gone Girl||2015|
|Redeemer Award -||Nominee||Vice||2019|
|BSFC Award - Best Ensemble Cast||Winner||Star Trek||2009|
|Blimp Award - Favorite Movie Actor||Nominee||Madea Goes to Jail||2010|
|MTV Movie Award - Breakthrough Male||Nominee||Diary of a Mad Black Woman||2005|
|Stinker Award - Worst Supporting Actor||Winner||Diary of a Mad Black Woman||2005|
|Black Movie Award - Outstanding Achievement in Screenwriting||Nominee||Madea's Family Reunion||2006|
|Black Reel - Best Screenplay, Original or Adapted||Nominee||Madea's Family Reunion||2007|
|Image Award - Outstanding Directing in a Feature Film/Television Movie - Comedy or Drama||Nominee||Madea's Family Reunion||2007|
|MTV Movie Award - Best Comedic Performance||Nominee||Madea's Family Reunion||2006|
|Image Award - Outstanding Actor in a Motion Picture||Nominee||Alex Cross||2013|
|Razzie Award - Worst Actor||Nominee||Alex Cross||2013|
|Movies for Grownups Award - Best Buddy Picture||Winner||The Family That Preys||2009|
|Hollywood Award - Artist of the Year||Nominee||A Madea Christmas||2014|
|Razzie Award - Worst Actress||Winner||A Madea Christmas||2014|
Tyler Perry roles
Tyler Perry's Quotes
- I know my audience, and they're not people that the studios know anything about.
- Hollywood is finally waking up to the fact that people who go to church also go to the movies. I'm not sure what took them so long to see that or how long they will keep it up.
- Did you know you can't say 'Jesus' in a sitcom? They told me that and I was like, You gotta be kiddin' me. If you don't want my God here, you don't want me here either. God has been too good to me to go and try to sell out to get some money. It ain't gonna happen.
- He who has the gold makes the rules. (60 Minutes (1968), 25 October 2009)
- It takes a week to do a sitcom in Hollywood. I do a show a day in my studio, three or four shows a week.
Tyler Perry: A Self-Made Entertainment Tycoon with a Net Worth of $800 Million
Tyler Perry is a man who has proved that determination and hard work can lead to enormous success. Born Emmitt Perry, Jr. on September 13, 1969, in New Orleans, Louisiana, Tyler Perry is now one of the most financially successful directors in the entertainment industry, with a net worth of $800 million.
What is Tyler Perry known for?
Tyler Perry is known for his work as an actor, director, playwright, and producer. He has directed and produced more than 30 movies, 20 stage productions, and eight TV shows throughout his career. His impressive portfolio of work has earned him a devoted fan base and catapulted him to great heights of success.
Early life and education
Perry’s early life was marked by hardship and abuse at the hands of several family members. However, he found solace in writing as a means of healing his mental wounds. Inspired by an episode of The Oprah Winfrey Show, which highlighted the therapeutic impact of writing, he decided to pursue a career in the field.
In his early twenties, Perry wrote letters to himself, which later became the foundation for his musical “I Know I’ve Been Changed”. This play, along with his other stage productions, quickly gained popularity in Atlanta and beyond, attracting more than 35,000 audience members per week.
Prior to venturing into Hollywood, Perry sold over $100 million worth of tickets to his plays and $30 million worth of related videos and merchandise. These early successes laid the groundwork for his future achievements.
Perry’s film success began when he approached Lionsgate with a proposal for his movie “Diary of a Mad Black Woman”. Perry financed half of the $5.5 million budget, while Lionsgate provided the other half and a small fee for marketing and distribution. The film grossed $50.6 million domestically, and Perry owned the content and kept half the profits.
Building on his success, Perry directed his second film, “Madea’s Family Reunion”, which opened at number one at the box office and eventually grossed $65 million. He went on to direct and produce 14 “Madea” movies, collectively earning nearly $700 million at the box office. Perry’s ability to write, direct, and produce his films independently allows him to take home the majority of the profits.
Perry also ventured into television with his popular sitcoms “Tyler Perry’s House of Payne” and “Meet the Browns”. He struck a lucrative deal with TBS, earning a $200 million production guarantee and retaining ownership of the shows. Perry’s business savvy combined with his creative talent propelled him to even greater heights of success in the television industry.
Tyler Perry Studios
In 2006, Perry founded Tyler Perry Studios in Atlanta. The studio, situated on a 330-acre former military base, became one of the largest in the world. Notably, Perry became the first African-American to own a major studio.
The studio’s facilities have been used by other major production companies like Netflix and Amazon, generating millions of dollars in rental revenue each year. Some iconic films, including the blockbuster Marvel movie “Black Panther”, were filmed at Tyler Perry Studios.
BET+ and other ventures
Perry’s collaboration with ViacomCBS resulted in a deal worth $150 million per year for content production, while personally earning him an equity stake in the BET+ streaming network, estimated to be worth $50 million. This partnership further solidifies Perry’s status as a successful and influential figure in the entertainment industry.
In addition to his entertainment ventures, Tyler Perry has authored two books that became New York Times Best Sellers. He has also taken on acting roles in Hollywood films.
Tyler Perry’s accomplishments extend beyond his financial success. He has been recognized for his contributions to the entertainment industry with numerous awards, including Emmys, NAACP Image Awards, and BET Comedy Awards.
Perry’s impact and influence cannot be understated. Through his plays, movies, and TV shows, he has provided a platform for African American talent and stories, garnering widespread recognition and admiration from audiences.
Personal life and philanthropy
Despite his busy schedule, Tyler Perry finds time to make a positive impact on society. He supports various charitable causes and frequently lends resources to those in need. In 2009, he sponsored 65 children from a Philadelphia day camp to visit Walt Disney World.
Additionally, Perry has made headlines for his philanthropic missions, using his private jets to deliver supplies to countries devastated by tragedies. His dedication to helping others demonstrates his generous spirit and commitment to making a difference.
Tyler Perry’s journey from difficult beginnings to becoming a successful entertainment tycoon is nothing short of remarkable. His relentless pursuit of his passion, combined with business acumen, has led him to build an empire that continues to thrive.
Beyond financial success, Perry has used his platform to create opportunities for underrepresented voices in the entertainment industry. His commitment to philanthropy further exemplifies his character and desire to make a positive impact on society.
As Tyler Perry continues to write, direct, produce, and inspire, it is evident that his incredible success story is far from over. With each project, he continues to leave a lasting impact on both the entertainment industry and the world at large.
Interesting Facts about Tyler Perry
- Has been writing plays since he was age 18. As of March 2005, his eight plays have grossed over US$75 million in tickets and DVD sales.
- Before becoming a successful filmmaker with Diary of a Mad Black Woman (2005), he was already the owner of a successful play company that tours the country and caters to African-Americans. His plays are also recorded and sold as DVDs.
- His plays often reference The Color Purple (1985), which starred Oprah Winfrey. He credits The Oprah Winfrey Show (1986) with inspiring him to write.
- Has a 12-acre estate outside Atlanta. He bought the former Dean Gardens in Johns Creek, Georgia for $7.6 million (previously listed as high as $40 million). The property has 1200 feet adjoining the Chattahoochee River, a golf course and is 58 acres.
- Often quotes famous black-focused movies such as What's Love Got to Do with It (1993) and The Color Purple (1985). These two are especially quoted in Madea's Family Reunion (2006).
- Ranked #7 on EW's The 50 Smartest People in Hollywood (2007).
- Attended high school with rapper Mystikal.
- His mother, Willie Maxine Perry, passed away on December 8, 2009 at age 64. She was a preschool teacher who worked at the New Orleans Jewish Community Center for most of her life.
- Spent a period of time destitute and living on the streets of Atlanta after his play ''I Know I've Been Changed'' flopped.
- Worked in construction before his film career became successful.
- Good friends with Oprah Winfrey. Friends with comedian Steve Harvey.
- Has one son with girlfriend Gelila Bekele: Aman Tyler Perry (born November 30, 2014).
- Purchased the shuttered Fort McPherson Army Base (1885-2011) for his "Tyler Perry Studios" operation, a 330-acre complex in southwest Atlanta where his own personal offices are housed in "The Dream Building". With this acquisition, Perry becomes the first African-American to own a major film studio outright. [June 2015]
- He was awarded a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 7024 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California on October 1, 2019.
- Is a huge fan of Star Trek (1966). He made a cameo as Admiral Robert Bennett in the Star Trek: The Future Begins (2009) reboot.
- Is a huge fan of country music.
Additional information of Tyler Perry
|Best Match for Marriage||Taurus, Capricorn|