Basic Information About Michael Learned
|Category||Celebrities › Actors|
|Date of birth||1939-04-09 (84 years old)|
|Place of birth||Washington, D.C.|
|Nationality||United States of America|
|Curiosities and Trademarks||Blonde hair and blue eyes|
|Height||5 ft 7 in (1.702 m)|
|Social Media||↗︎ Wikipedia ↗︎ IMDb|
What Movie Awards did Michael Learned win?
Michael Learned awards
|Award Name||State||Movie / Series Name||Year|
|Primetime Emmy - Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series||Winner||The Waltons||1976|
|Primetime Emmy - Best Lead Actress in a Drama Series||Winner||The Waltons||1974|
|Golden Globe - Best Actress in a Television Series - Drama||Nominee||The Waltons||1976|
|Primetime Emmy - Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series||Winner||Nurse||1982|
|Primetime Emmy - Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series||Nominee||Nurse||1981|
Michael Learned roles
|Movie / Series||Role|
|Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story||Vivian Emery|
|The Waltons||Olivia Walton 168 episodes, 1972-1979|
|Scrubs||Mrs. Wilk 7 episodes, 2006-2009|
|Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Candace Lamerly 1 episode, 2003|
|Reading Rainbow||Self 1 episode, 1994|
|The Secret World of Alex Mack||Ghost of Paradise Valley 1 episode, 1995|
|St. Elsewhere||Sister Millicent Domenica 2 episodes, 1984|
|Pensacola: Wings of Gold||Congresswoman Benedict 1 episode, 2000|
|Murder, She Wrote||Maria Hudson 1 episode, 1989|
|All My Children||Judge Turner 1 episode, 2005|
|The Young and the Restless||Katherine Chancellor 13 episodes, 2011|
|Promised Land||Dolly Carstens 1 episode, 1998|
|Wiseguy||Rachel 2 episodes, 1990|
|Match Game 73||Self - Panelist 5 episodes, 1973|
|Loose Women||Self 1 episode, 2017|
|One Life to Live||Hon. Judge Turner 2 episodes, 2005|
|American Playhouse||Kate Keller 1 episode, 1987|
|Who's the Boss?||Trish Carlin / ... 2 episodes, 1989|
Michael Learned Net Worth: A Look Into a Prolific Career on Television and Stage
With a net worth of $3 million, Michael Learned is an accomplished American actress who has been part of New York’s stage and television, starting with her debut in 1963. The actress gained immense popularity and attention in the theatrical vastness by playing the role of Olivia Walton in the famous series ‘The Waltons’.
Who Is Michael Learned Known For?
Michael Learned is best known for playing Olivia Walton, the strong and compassionate matriarch of the Walton family. She had an intense screen presence and delivered heartfelt performances that viewers thoroughly enjoyed. She has a clan of loyal fans that have followed her career since the seventies.
Early Life and Education
Born in Washington, D.C, Michael grew up primarily in Connecticut before her father, who was working for the State Department at the time, moved his family to Austria. It was while living there that she developed an immense love for acting and performance. She enrolled herself at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art located in London where she honed her acting skills and graduated with a solid understanding of performing arts.
Michael’s first on-camera experience was in 1963, making her debut into television. She had no idea what was in store for her and how much she would end up loving it. The momentous occasions began in 1971 when she landed a lead role as Olivia Walton; the character became deeply entrenched in American popular culture. She has been featured in several other programs like GunSmoke, Insight, Roots: The Gift, Murder She Wrote, Scrubs among many others.
Aside from her work on screen, she is also an accomplished stage performer with numerous credits to her name. Her theatre acting accomplishments have been substantial and widespread from her work in ‘The Best Man’ to ‘Driving Miss Daisy.
Michael has an impressive list of shows and movies, and her work proves that she is a versatile performer with great depth, be it screen acting or theatre. Her acting skills have won her three Emmy Awards throughout her career being cast as Olivia Walton. She was also nominated for four more awards in later stages of her career. Let us not forget when she landed the leading role in the 1991 drama series “Nurse,” co-produced by Lorimar Productions and CBS Entertainment. It won Michael another Emmy award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series.
The world was shocked after receiving the heartbreaking news about Michael Learned’s death in 2018. The rumours were soon quashed as Learned officially released a statement via Twitter that she is still alive and healthy, which is a big relief to her devoted fans!
Michael Learned has been a pivotal force in the entertainment industry, marking her place from the fields of television screens to theatre stages.
She has remained an inspiration to aspiring actors and actresses who wish to grace the acting world with impactful roles and exceptional performances.
With her impressive track record, ranging from Emmys to outstanding stage performances, it is not surprising how much earned net worth is $3 Million. It is safe to say that we have not yet seen the end of this remarkable actress.”
Interesting Facts about Michael Learned
- Married to Canadian-American actor Peter Donat, by whom she had 3 children, until their divorce.
- Won four acting Emmy awards: three for The Waltons (1972) and one for her subsequent series Nurse (1981).
- She was originally billed "Miss Michael Learned" on The Waltons (1972) not out of ego or demand, but for the simple fact that Ms. Learned was unknown to the public at the time she won the role of Olivia and the powers that be did not want the audience to be confused about her gender.
- Eldest of six sisters, she lived on a farm during her first ten years of life.
- Stage-trained at San Francisco's ACT company where she frequently appeared with her first husband, actor Peter Donat. They married when she was 17.
- She is the godmother of Christopher Plummer's daughter, Amanda Plummer. As a matter of fact, Amanda's middle name is Michael, after her.
- Mother of 3 sons: Chris, Caleb and Lucas Donat.
- Surname is pronounced LEAR-NED (not in the same way as "you learned something").
- She was a mere 11 years older than Richard Thomas, who played her oldest child John-Boy on "The Waltons," and more than 12 years younger than Patricia Neal who originated the role of Olivia Walton (and who won a Golden Globe for it) in the TV movie pilot "The Homecoming.".
- In an obvious play on her unique name, Michael Learned once portrayed a widow named "Mike" (Yardner) on a 1973 episode of Gunsmoke.
- She was awarded the 1983 Drama Logue Award for Outstanding Performance for "A Month in the Country" at the Mark Taper Forum Theatre in Los Angeles, California.
- Marian Seldes, Christina Rouner and she were awarded the 1996 Drama Logue Award for Outstanding Ensemble Performance for "Three Tall Women" at the Mark Taper Forum Theatre in Los Angeles, California.
- Mother-in-law of Traci Wald Donat (daughter of Helen Reddy), who married her son Lucas Donat on July 20, 1984.