What Movie Awards did Puneet Issar win?
Puneet Issar: India’s Iconic Movie Villain with a $10 Million Fortune
When it comes to villain roles, Puneet Issar is an actor who could easily be called
an iconic figure. Born in India in November 1959, Puneet has amassed an extensive acting
career with more than a hundred credits under his belt.
Net worth Details
Even with all his achievements over the years, what’s more impressive is his massive
net worth. Puneet Issar has a net worth of $10 million and has established himself as
one of the most accomplished actors in the Indian film industry.
What is Puneet Issar known for?
Puneet Issar is best known for his portrayal of the formidable Duryodhana in the Indian epic
series Mahabharata which aired in 1988. Owing to his exceptional performance in this series, he
became immensely popular and his acting skills were highly appreciated. In fact, it wouldn’t
be wrong to say that his powerful yet poignant portrayal is still looked upon as a benchmark
for Indian television villains to this day.
Early life and education
Puneet Issar was born in Punjab, India, to the legendary Punjabi artist Sudesh Issar, who
was known for his excellence in unique folk traditions. Puneet grew up under the wing of such
artists who helped him develop a keen interest in acting and filmmaking from an early age.
In his educational journey, Puneet completed his schooling from Yadavindra Public School,
located in Patiala and graduated from Sri Ram College of Commerce, Delhi University.
Puneet Issar’s acting career spans multiple decades; his first movie being Coolie, where
he portrayed the character of Zafar in 1983. His performance met with some controversy after
he accidentally injured veteran actor Amitabh Bachchan during its production. It caused
Issar to face severe criticism from the industry, and it took time for him to rebuild his public
Following his debut, Issar went on to play key roles in several blockbusters such as Border,
Garv: Pride and Honour, Superman (Indian version), Cheetah, Vajra: The Weapon, Ready, I Am Singh and Best of Luck.
In addition to commendable performances in movies, he also made a significant impact on Indian
television, as he’d become part of notable shows like Adaalat, Mahabharata, Kya Hadsaa Kya Haqeeqat among others.
Puneet Issar is famously recognized for his portrayal of Duryodhana in Mahabharata,
and it won’t come as a shock that some of his best work led to significant recognition and
appreciation. He was awarded the All India Achievers Award in 2004, and five years later, he
had won the best direction award in Los Angeles for Amavas Ki Raat.
To promote healthier lifestyles amongst audiances he even appeared on the controversial television programme Bigg Boss Season 8.
Puneet Issar and Beyond
Puneet Issar’s contribution to the field of acting is remarkable. Puneet has left an inspiring legacy
behind him through his quality work and exceptional dedication to the film industry. His monumental performances
have won millions of hearts, and besides being an actor, he is a warm and kind-hearted person who
makes time for the causes he’s passionate about.
We look forward to the upcoming roles he opts for, and we know we can expect more of his remarkable
work in the near future!
Interesting Facts about Puneet Issar
- His punch was the one that made superstar Amitabh Bachchan seriously injured in the movie Coolie (1983).
- Son of director Sudesh Issar.
- He started his career with the movie Coolie in 1983. During the filming of an action sequence of this movie, he accidentally injured Amitabh Bachchan nearly fatally and suffered the industry's backlash due to it.
- Puneet Issar was told to play Bheem but was cast as Duryodhan on his wish.
- He also played the role of Parashurama in the 2013 TV series Mahabharat.
- Issar participated in the Indian TV reality show Bigg Boss season 8 in 2014-2015.
- He played the Indian Superman, a Bollywood version of the Hollywood movies.
- Starred in the shelved movie "Top Secret" (1982) Starring Puneet Issar,Binny Rai, Directed by Bakshish Singh. The film title Top Secret was registered with another producer. But Bakshish Singh clashed with Deepak Seth and Rameshwari for the title. Bakshish eventually changed it .