Basic Information About Tamara Tunie
|Category||Celebrities › Actors|
|Professions||Actor, Film director, Film Producer|
|Date of birth||1959-03-14 (64 years old)|
|Place of birth||McKeesport|
|Nationality||United States of America|
|Curiosities and Trademarks||Deep voice|
|Spouse||Gregory Generet - (21 October 1995 - 11 October 2018) (divorced)|
10 September - Greg Bouquett ( 1988 - 1991) (divorced)
|Social Media||↗︎ Wikipedia ↗︎ IMDb|
What Movie Awards did Tamara Tunie win?
Tamara Tunie roles
|Movie / Series||Role|
|The Devil's Advocate||Mrs. Jackie Heath|
|Eve's Bayou||Narrator (voice)|
|A Journal for Jordan|
|Better Call Saul||Anita 3 episodes, 2017-2018|
|Billions||Amelia 1 episode, 2016|
|Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Dr. Melinda Warner / ... 225 episodes, 2000-2021|
|Blue Bloods||Monica Graham 7 episodes, 2016-2018|
|Chicago Fire||Dr. Melinda Warner 1 episode, 2015|
|Law & Order||Caroline Bennett 1 episode, 1996|
|Sex and the City||Eileen 1 episode, 1999|
|Chicago Hope||Lennie Gaghan 1 episode, 1997|
|24||Alberta Green 6 episodes, 2002|
|Spenser: For Hire||Nina 1 episode, 1986|
|Emergence||Maria Wilkis 2 episodes, 2019|
|Alpha House||Eve Bettencourt / ... 2 episodes, 2014|
|American Experience||1 episode, 2000|
|Days of Our Lives||Judge Weston 2 episodes, 2011|
|Cowboy Bebop||Ana 1 episode, 2021|
|Survivor's Remorse||D.A. Sandra Knowles 1 episode, 2015|
|Say Yes to the Dress||Self 1 episode, 2015|
|The Red Road||Marie 12 episodes, 2014-2015|
Tamara Tunie's Quotes
- Show business is fickle, and though I have been blessed with a healthy career, who knows how long that will last?
- When I first got to New York, all I did was musicals. After a few years I had to make a conscious choice to close the door on musicals, because I was getting pigeon-holed as a musical theater performer.
- I have Native-American blood, I have European blood, I have African blood.
- I always watch the work I do.
The Successful Career and Net Worth Details of Tamara Tunie, Actress, Director, and Producer
Throughout her long and highly successful career in the entertainment industry, Tamara Tunie has gained widespread recognition and acclaim for her excellent performances in film and television. Not only is she a renowned actress, but she has also directed and produced various award-winning works. With her dedication, hard work, and immense talent, Tunie has established herself as one of the most successful actors in the industry, with an impressive net worth of $8 million dollars.
What is Tamara Tunie known for?
Tamara Tunie is most widely known for her starring roles in popular TV shows, such as ‘As the World Turns’ and ‘Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.’ She has also graced the silver screen with her powerful presence, having appeared in blockbuster films like ‘Wall Street,’ ‘Rising Sun,’ ‘Eve’s Bayou,’ ‘The Devil’s Advocate,’ and ‘Flight.’ In addition to that, she has acted in numerous TV shows like ‘NYPD Blue,’ ‘Sex & the City,’ and ’24.’
Early life and education
Tamara Tunie was born and raised in McKeesport, Pennsylvania. Her parents were well-educated individuals who instilled in her a love of learning. She graduated from Carnegie-Mellon University with a degree in Musical Theatre. Her passion for acting drove her to pursue a career in the entertainment industry. She started building her acting portfolio by appearing in stage productions before stepping into the world of television and movies.
Tunie’s first break came when she landed a guest-starring role in the TV show ‘Spenser for Hire.’ This paved the way for future opportunities, and she went on to land various notable roles in blockbuster movies like ‘The Peacemaker’ and ‘The Devil’s Advocate.’ Meanwhile, her work on the small screen continued unabated, and she went on to feature in popular TV shows like ‘Law & Order: Special Victims Unit,’ for which her portrayal of Melinda Warner earned her a Critic’s Choice Award.
Tunie also explored her talent behind the camera, taking on the director’s chair for TV shows like ‘As the World Turns,’ ‘Law & Order: Special Victims Unit,’ and ‘The Good Wife.’ She also produced ‘Saints & Sinners,’ an award-winning Broadway play, which was highly successful.
Throughout her career, Tunie earned several accolades, including an Obie award for Best Performance, a Theatre World Award, and NAACP Image Award for Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series. Her outstanding work as a producer in the Broadway play, ‘Saints & Sinners,’ also earned her recognition and cemented her place in the theatre world. Tunie has undoubtedly left a lasting imprint in both film and television industries. Through her exceptional performances, directing and producing skills, she has become an inspiration for others to follow.
Tamara Tunie is a multi-talented individual who has successfully made a name for herself in Hollywood. Her dedication and tireless effort towards her work don’t go unnoticed in the industry; countless people love and respect her. As Tunie moves forward, there is no doubt that she will continue to contribute significantly to the entertainment industry and is deserving of all the accolades that come with such success.
Interesting Facts about Tamara Tunie
- Graduated from Carnegie Mellon University in 1981 
- When she was portraying the character of 'Jessica Griffin' on the daytime drama As the World Turns (1956), one of her mentors, actress/director/drama coach Billie Allen, portrayed her character's mother 'Louise' (1994).
- After five years of portraying Medical Examiner Melinda Warner on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (1999), she was finally given main cast billing in the seventh season. (2005)
- Shares a birthday with Michael Caine, Mercedes McNab, Kylie Tyndall, Keaton Tyndall, Quincy Jones, Chris Klein, & Jamie Bell
- Her father still operates the family business, a funeral home, in a suburb of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- In 2007, she received a Tony Award as co-producer for the musical "Spring Awakening". She was also a Tony Award nominee (Best Play) for co-producing August Wilson's Radio Golf.
- Is a rabid Pittsburgh Steelers fan.
- Serves on the board of directors of Figure Skating in Harlem, Inc., a nonprofit organization that works with young girls in the community.
- Has worked with several charitable organizations and theater companies, including Hearts of Gold and Harlem Stage/The Gatehouse.
- Was a contestant in the Miss Black Teenage Pageant in Pittsburgh in the early 1970s.
- Her paternal great-grandmother was full blooded Indian.
- Parents: James W Tunie, Evelyn Hawkins Tunie.
- Has 3 sisters and 1 brother.
- In 2002, performed in 3 shows simultaneously, As the World Turns, Law & Order Special Victims Unit and 24.
- On one occasion, she worked on three shows in a 24-hour period: First the play Julius Caesar with Denzel Washington, then to work on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, then to work on the soap opera As the World Turns. After that, she performed in the matinee and evening performances of Julius Caesar. (The Mo'Nique Show).
- Has a french bulldog named Spraga, with husband Gregory Generet.
- Is a singer; her range is mezzo-soprano.
- Made her Broadway debut alongside Lena Horne in Lena Horne: The Lady and Her Music.
- Both her parents were morticians; the family lived above the funeral parlor.
- Was in the first all African-American production of Tennessee Williams's play "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof," produced at the Virgínia State Theatre.