What Movie Awards did Anthony Rapp win?
Anthony Rapp roles
|Movie / Series||Role|
|Dazed and Confused||Tony|
|Adventures in Babysitting||Daryl|
|A Beautiful Mind||Bender|
|School Ties||Richard 'McGoo' Collins|
|Six Degrees of Separation||Ben|
|Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Matt Spevak / ... 2 episodes, 2004-2012|
|The X Files||Jeff Glaser 1 episode, 1997|
|Spin City||Anthony Rapp 1 episode, 1997|
|The Knick||Dr. Thurman Drexler 3 episodes, 2015|
|Star Trek: Discovery||Paul Stamets / ... 42 episodes, 2017-2021|
|Ellen: The Ellen DeGeneres Show||Self 1 episode, 2005|
|13 Reasons Why||Priest 1 episode, 2018|
|Psych||Zachary Wallace Zander aka Z 1 episode, 2013|
|Kidnapped||Larry Kellogg 4 episodes, 2006-2007|
|The Talk||Self 1 episode, 2018|
Anthony Rapp's Quotes
- Everyone tells us you really don't know what you're capable of till you're in the middle of it.
- Anyone who loses a parent, you have to find those parts of yourself that your parent held true in themselves, especially if they're supportive parents.
- I wanted really to make it moment to moment, partly because I'm an actor and that's how I operate - actors are all about creating the moment.
- There is only one you for all time. Fearlessly be yourself.
- Labels are for cans, not people.
Who is Anthony Rapp?
Anthony Rapp is an American actor and singer who has been making waves in Hollywood for decades. Born in Chicago, Illinois, in 1971, Anthony had a flair for the creative arts at a young age and was involved with community theatre and singing from his childhood days. Over the years, he’s carved out a successful career as both an actor and musician, achieving plenty of success along the way.
Early Life and Education
Rapp was born to parents Douglas and Mary on October 26th, 1971, and grew up in Joliet, Illinois with his older sister and brother. His parents separated three years after his birth, and he was brought up by his mother close to his siblings. In his younger years, Rapp exhibited a strong interest in dancing, singing, and acting, winning several accolades for his voice. He attended Joliet West High School and later went on to study film at New York University.
Beginnings on Stage
The talented artist first appeared on the stage when he was picked as a part of the children’s chorus for ‘Evita’ at the age of nine. Four years later, he made his acting debut at the off-Broadway show ‘Youth is Broken.’ While struggling to get noticed by the critics, Rapp made several stage performances over the next decade.
Breakthrough with ‘Rent’ and Further Stage Career
Anthony’s natural talent shone through when he originated the role of Mark Cohen in the musical ‘Rent’ in 1995. The show became an instant hit and changed his career forever. He performed in several tours during his extended stint as Mark Cohen. In between the shows, he performed in other musicals such as ‘You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown,’ and ‘Hedwig and the Angry Inch.’
Rapp also transitioned to the silver screen with small roles in movies such as ‘Adventures in Babysitting,’ ‘School Ties,’ and ‘Dazed and Confused’ during his time on the musical world. In time, he landed notable roles in movies like ‘A Beautiful Mind’ that showed his versatility as an actor. Despite his continued success on stage, Rapp continued to explore his acting skills in Hollywood.
Rapp found similar success in television series following his work in theatre movies. In 2017, he joined the cast of ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ after a string of minor roles as guest spots in various shows throughout his career. He breathed new life into the role of Paul Stamets on the show.
Anthony got married to Ken Ithiphol in 2016, becoming an LGBTQ ambassador for the community during his stint in various theater shows. His continued support for equal rights led to his raising voice against Kevin Spacey, co-star on the popular show ‘House of Cards.’ In 2017, he filed a lawsuit against Spacey, accusing him of being sexually inappropriate with Rapp when he was just a teenager.
Rapp has been nominated for several awards throughout his career globably. Two Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards, a Scream Award for best ensemble cast for his work in ‘Dazed and Confused,’ and a Screen Actors Guild Award nominations were some of the most prestigious awards he was nominated for by critics.
What is Anthony Rapp’s Net Worth?
As of 2021, Rapp’s estimated net worth is at $6 million. His successful career and immense talent have helped establish him as a leading performer in Hollywood.
The actor-singer’s career has showcased his impressive versatility,
whether it is his film or television performances. With over three decades under his belt in the performing arts industry, Anthony Rapp continues to showcase his unique talent, giving us hope that his stay in the industry promises to be a long one.
Interesting Facts about Anthony Rapp
- Brother Adam Rapp is a novelist and playwright; Anthony starred in Adam's one-man show.
- Attended New York University.
- As a child actor working in regional theater, appeared with All My Children (1970) star Louis Edmonds in production of "Oliver". He was Oliver; Edmonds was Fagin. This is briefly mentioned in Edmonds biography, "Big Lou" by Craig Hamrick.
- Like his brother, Rapp is now an author. His debut book "Without You", a memoir about his career and the experience of losing his mother to cancer at the same time he was appearing in the biggest stage hit of his career, came out in early 2006.
- Attended Interlochen Arts Camp, an exclusive arts camp, where he studied acting for 2 years. He continues to teach master classes there, and at Interlochen Arts Academy
- Heads a band called AlbinoKid.
- Appeared in the original Broadway productions of Six Degrees of Separation and Rent, and in their respective film adaptations.
- Rapp's character in Jonathan Larson's Rent, Mark Cohen, is the revised version of the character of Marcello in the opera La Bohème.
- Childhood friend of actor/comedian Andy Dick.
- Received the 2006 Trailblazer Award.
- Reprising the role of Mark in Rent (which he created) on Broadway from July 30-Sept 9 [July 2007]
- Filming started on Rent (2005) where Rapp reprises his Broadway role as Mark Cohen. [March 2005]
- Currently starring in "Some Americans Abroad" in New York at the 2nd Stage Theater until August 3rd 2008. [July 2008]
- Without You: A Memoir of Love, Loss and the Musical Rent is released and Anthony will go on a book tour to promote his book and Rent. [February 2006]
- Preparing to film the movie version of 'Rent', where he will reprise his role of Mark Cohen [December 2004]
- Starring in the Broadway tour of Little Shop of Horrors. [August 2004]
- Principal filming for Rent (2005) is finished. [June 2005]
- Starring in "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" at City Theatre Company in Pittsburgh, PA through June 15, 2003. [May 2003]
- He has German, English, Irish, and Scottish ancestry.
- Distant cousin of Jesse Tyler Ferguson. Both men descend from the same English Baldwin family.