Basic Information About Meg Tilly
|Category||Celebrities › Actors|
|Professions||Actor, Author, Novelist|
|Date of birth||1960-02-14 (63 years old)|
|Place of birth||Long Beach|
|Nationality||United States of America|
|Spouse||Don Calame - (2002 - present)|
John Calley - (13 October 1995 - 2 February 2002) (divorced)
Tim Zinnemann - (1983 - 1989) (divorced) (2 children)
|Height||5 ft 5 in (1.676 m)|
|Social Media||↗︎ Wikipedia ↗︎ IMDb|
What Movie Awards did Meg Tilly win?
Meg Tilly awards
|Award Name||State||Movie / Series Name||Year|
|Saturn Award - Best Supporting Actress||Nominee||Psycho II||1984|
|ACTRA Toronto Award - Outstanding Performance - Female||Nominee||Bomb Girls||2014|
|Canadian Screen Award - Best Performance by an Actress in a Continuing Leading Dramatic Role||Winner||Bomb Girls||2013|
|Leo - Best Lead Performance by a Female in a Dramatic Series||Winner||Bomb Girls||2012|
|Golden Nymph - Outstanding Actress in a Drama Series||Nominee||Bomb Girls||2013|
|Golden Nymph - Outstanding Actress in a Mini-Series||Nominee||Bomb Girls||2012|
Meg Tilly roles
|Movie / Series||Role|
|War Machine||Jeanie McMahon|
|The Big Chill||Chloe|
|The Two Jakes||Kitty Berman|
|Valmont||Madame de Tourvel|
|Body Snatchers||Carol Malone|
|Bomb Girls||Lorna Corbett 18 episodes, 2012-2013|
|Caprica||Mother 2 episodes, 2010|
|The Tonight Show with Jay Leno||Self - Guest 1 episode, 1994|
|Late Night with Conan O'Brien||Self - Guest 1 episode, 1994|
|Fallen Angels||Lois Weldon 1 episode, 1993|
Meg Tilly's Quotes
- [on her retirement from acting] Do I regret quitting? Absolutely not. It was one of the best decisions I ever made. I had the privilege of watching my children grow up. I was there for the joys and the sorrows, the challenging heartbreaking times as well as the giddy, exuberant triumphs. I would not have traded those years for anything in the world.
- I really enjoy acting. At home I can't even finish a sentence, and here am I reading these wonderful lines. I think it must be every housewife's dream, to be an actress part-time.
- I still have a problem with nuns. I follow them around like a kitten with a ball of yarn.
- I'm not that fashion-conscious. A lot of time, when women are appearing to be so perfect, it's because they're a mess underneath.
- If you meet people who have been successful in Hollywood, or look at their photographs, you see a haunted look in their eyes. You sense a trapped feeling.
Meg Tilly Net Worth Details
Meg Tilly is a Canadian-American actress with a net worth of $3 million. She started her career as a dancer and then shifted to acting after an unfortunate accident caused her to abandon her dream of becoming a professional dance performer.
Biography of Meg Tilly
What is Meg Tilly known for?
Meg Tilly has earned international recognition and fame for her exceptional work as an actress in several Hollywood projects. Her Oscar-nominated performance in ‘Agnes of God’, portraying Sister Agnes was highly acclaimed. She also won several awards for the same, including the Golden Globe, as the industry held her performance in high regard.
Early Life and Education
Meg Tilly was born on February 14, 196, in Long Beach, California, as Margaret Elizabeth Chan. She grew up alongside her three siblings; among which is her sister Jennifer Tilly, who is also an actress. Meg Tilly primarily resides in Toronto, Ontario, Canada with her family.
At the age of 12, Meg moved to British Columbia with her parents where she completed her high school degree. She then went on to attend an arts school with focus on modern dance – Connecticut Ballet Company based in Hartford. Throughout her dance career stint, Meg Tilly has performed various shows within the United States of America and West Germany while being part of it.
Unfortunately, an injury at 21 put a halt to her dancing days due to stress fractures caused by a partner-dropping incident. Following that, she diverted herself from pursuing more opportunities as a performer in dance and instead moved back to BC and started writing novels; some of the published ones include “Singing Songs” (1994) and “Gemma” (2006).
Tilly ventured into acting since the late 197s and featured in a legendary film titled ‘Fame’ by renowned Director Alan Parker. Her career’s beginning was predominantly simple yet steady, appearing in small roles and occasional making her guest appearances in several TV series, including ‘Hill Street Blues’. However, everything changed once she received an opportunity to act in the critically acclaimed project ‘Agnes of God’, raising her career towards stardom.
Her roles in films like “The Big Chill” (1983) and “Psycho II” (1983) helped her reach critical acclaim when she won the much-deserved nomination for her performance in “Agnes of God.” Later on, she worked on projects like “Masquerade” (1988), “Valmont” (1989), “Journey” (1995), and “Caprica” (201). Tilly appeared as Lorna Corbett in the Television series Bomb Girls, which aired from 2012 to 2013.
In 1986, Meg Tilly won the Golden Globe for Best supporting actress and also bagged the nomination under the category- Best Actress in a Leading Role for her performance as Sister Agnes in ‘Agnes of God.’. In the year 1995, she received further recognition when she won the international fantasy film award for Best Actress for her role in the short film ‘Can’t Dance’. Later on, she triumphed again in 2013 by winning a Leo award for Best Lead Performance.
Meg Tilly has propelled herself to be one of the most hard-working and successful actors in Hollywood history, now with an enormous fan base because of her remarkable acting. While we don’t know very many things about Ms. Tilly’s personal life, we do know that her fans can’t wait to see her maintaining high standards in Hollywood and getting cast in more distinguished and exciting roles.
Interesting Facts about Meg Tilly
- Son, with Colin Firth, William Joseph Firth (b. 1990).
- Younger sister of actress Jennifer Tilly and Steve Tilly.
- Was originally cast as Mozart's wife in Amadeus (1984), but had to leave after tearing a ligament in her leg during a soccer game with her children one day before her shooting started.
- Relationship with Colin Firth began while filming Milos Forman's Valmont (1989).
- In high school, everyone called Jennifer, Meg, and their younger sister Becky the Three Musketeers.
- Her father was of Chinese descent and her mother had Irish and Finnish ancestry.
- 1995: Retired from acting and moved to British Columbia, Canada, to devote herself to writing and raising a family.
- Her first fiction novel was "Singing Songs" (1994; Dutton Books) based on memories of her own childhood. Her second novel "Gemma" (2006; Syren Book Company), is a graphic, disturbing tale about child sexual abuse, which has prompted her to recently reveal her own true-life sexual abuse as a youngster growing up.
- While older sister Jennifer Tilly has remained mum about the history of childhood sexual abuse in the family recently revealed by Meg (which included her stepfather and one of her mother's boyfriends), youngest sister Becky has corroborated her sister's revelations.
- While filming One Dark Night (1982), she was incredibly uncomfortable in the actual mausoleum. Her reactions to her surroundings were often genuine. During the scenes where she was hysterical, she actually did throw herself into hysterics and it took her awhile after each take to calm herself down.
- Said that her worst film experience was working with Anthony Perkins and director Richard Franklin in Psycho II (1983). Her best film experience was working with director Norman Jewison and co-stars, Jane Fonda and Anne Bancroft in Agnes of God (1985). Interestingly, both films resulted in Tilly being nominated for several awards, including a Golden Globe and an Oscar.
- Children from her marriage to Tim Zinnemann: Emily (b. 1984) and David (b. 1986).
- Was in consideration for the part of Mia Wallace in Pulp Fiction (1994) but Uma Thurman, who went on to receive a Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination for her performance, was cast instead.
- Former daughter-in-law of Fred Zinnemann.
- Ex-sister-in-law of Sam Simon.
- Younger sister, Becky, is a post-impressionist painter.
- Abandoned acting after Journey (1995) in order to focus on her family and her writings. She didn't act again until Caprica: Unvanquished (2010).